Hey everyone! 🙂 Today I want to do this kind of post because there are some concepts in Beauty (and Life in general) that can get really complicated. People can get easily intimidated, confused and overwhelmed by the amount of information made available for us. (TMI. tldr. Information Overload!) It is my goal through this post to simplify these concepts for you and define some terms along the way. I also want to give some product recommendations and talk about some personal favorites of mine. 🙂
Disclaimer: I’m no expert. You may even consider me a beginner but with the help of researching, I think I can give you guys a little bit of help. (I hope.)
I love talking about Skin Care and sharing my experiences regarding this topic. First of all, let’s tackle some frequently asked questions about Skin Care and I’ll try to answer them for you. 🙂
WHAT is Skin Care?
“I already washed my face; therefore I am taking care of my skin. Does that mean I’m done with Skin Care?” NO. There’s more to Skin Care than just washing your face. (even if you do it several times a day) Think of your skin as a separate part of your body (which it really is) just like your eyes or your heart. Of course we know that these body parts need the right amount of nutrition. The same principle applies to our skin. The skin needs nutrients and needs to be healthy as well. We should know how to take care of our skin if we want to achieve healthy, youthful and glowing complexion. Essentially, Skin Care consists of the steps we take in order to take CARE of our SKIN and make sure that it is healthy just like the rest of our body.
WHO needs Skin Care?
EVERYONE. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. OKAY?
WHEN is the right time/age for me to start applying skin care products?
There is no RIGHT age to start caring for one’s skin. It doesn’t matter whether you’re 13 or 30, if you’re reading this right now and you don’t have a skin care routine yet, then it’s time for you to start working on it. 😉 Like I mentioned above, skin care simply means taking care of your skin; and EVERYONE SHOULD DO IT. Men and women of all ages should take care of their skin.
WHERE do I start?
If you’ve ever walked inside a drugstore or the beauty section of a department store, seeing all those skin care products can be overwhelming; and the terms and labels in them can make you dizzy and super confused. Don’t fret, because it’s not as hard as it seems. My number one tip is: Know your skin type. Do you have oily, normal, combination, dry or sensitive skin? Are you acne-prone? Do you have any skin allergies? I suggest consulting your dermatologist to know which ingredients are good or bad for your specific skin type. Doing so would be a big help to your search for the perfect skin care products and to your journey to having the “perfect skin” you’ve been dreaming of. My second tip is: Know your preference. Do you prefer organic products? Are you sensitive to scent in skin care products? Does the packaging affect your choice of which products to get? Once you’ve broken down both your preference and the needs of your skin, choosing which products to get will be much easier for you.
WHY don’t I see results from the products I’m using?
This can be a result of two things. One is improper use of product/s. Some people think that skin care products work like magic potions. While some of them do, that’s not what they’re intended for. There’s a reason why it’s called skin care “routine”, we are supposed to use them on a regular basis. We have to follow the instructions for usage of these products. Do not expect them to work like magic, like if we leave them on our skin overnight, when we wake up the next day, poof! We have instantly flawless skin. These products need time to get absorbed by the skin and as we continue to use them, we’ll see better results. Let’s just be patient and consistent with the products we’re using. There is another reason why products may not work for you. What works for you may not work for others, and vice versa. Some ingredients that others swear by may not be as effective for you.
HOW often should I apply these products to my skin?
Use them as often as recommended. Just follow the instructions and you’ll be fine. Stick to your routine and the products that already work for you. Don’t hesitate to try more products as well depending on your skin’s needs.
Basic 3-Step Skin Care Routine:
- Cleanse – Remove your makeup (if you wore any) and wash your face with gentle cleansers.
- Tone – This can be considered as the last step of cleansing as it removes all traces of dirt and makeup residue on the skin and refreshes it. It also prepares the skin for the next steps of skin care.
- Moisturize – This is an important step because our skin needs to stay hydrated and moisturized no matter what our skin type is. Moisturizers also bring back the moisture and nutrition our skin lost due to sun exposure, pollution and makeup application.
Basic 5-Step Skin Care Routine:
- Eye Cream – The under eye area needs to stay hydrated and moisturized as well. People often complain about lines and bags under their eyes and there are a lot of eye creams in the market that promise to get rid of these. Unfortunately, we can only reduce them, not make them go away completely. (sans surgery) But it is always good to incorporate one in our routine. 🙂
- Day/Night Cream – During the day, we can use sun creams or sunscreens. They act as a moisturizing base for our makeup and also provide sun protection. At night, a thicker, more emollient cream is recommended to moisturize the skin as well as help in full absorption of the products we previously used. This also ensures that when we wake up the next day, our skin is still sufficiently moisturized and plump.
Now, where do we go from here? We can do 3, we can do 5, why not make it a 10-step process? The more, the merrier, right? 🙂 We can try the Korean 10-step Skin Care Routine, which I will go deeper into in another post. i will also give product recommendations and specific brands I’ve already tried in a separate post. That’s everything for this post. I hope this has been helpful to you in one way or another and as always, I hope you guys stay happy and healthy. Annyeong! :*